Skimlinks Test

Friday 14 March 2014

How to Contour & Highlight your face like a pro

Hi guys !

In this post I want to talk to you about contouring & highlighting of your face.
Contouring has become extremely popular in the last while, I remember the days when bronzing up the face a little was the only thing we would do to add definition to the face, now each part of the face gets more focus and we contour and highlight to make our best features stand out.

I have taken my time by practicing and trying out different ways of contouring my face starting off with just contouring my cheeks, foreahead and now I'd occasionally even contour my nose !
I have tried both cream and powder contouring and I definitely find the powder products easier to work with, but of course it depends on your own preference and skills.
I just find that using certain powder products gives the best and most natural finish.

For contouring I'd usually use bronzers and for highlighting...obviously highlighters :)

Why contour?

With contouring you can totally transform the look of your face, without using a scalpel. 
You can slim down your nose ( no more nose job considered for me ! ), get the Top Model cheekbones or make your forehead look smaller.

How?

By using powder or cream products.
Contour the desired areas and blend out the harsh lines to create the most natural look.

The areas you'd usually contour would be underneath the cheekbones, nose, temples and also under your lip ( to give you and illusion of a bigger lower lip ).

I enclose a picture to make things easier to understand:



Why Highlight?

To give your skin a beautiful healthy glow ( who doesn't want that? )

How?

Use cream, liquid  or powder products and even highlighting pencils.
Or use liquid base product as a base and use powder on top to make the area stand out even more ( I'd usually do that on my cheekbones) .

Add freshness to your look by adding a small amount highlighting powder ( my favourite is Nylon eyeshadow from MAC ) to the inner corner of your eyes and also run a flesh toned highlighting pencil into the inner rim of the eye.

Dab a few dots of a liquid highlight on top of your cheekbones and blend out with your finger or a stippling brush.

 Or

Use a powder highlight and a small tapered or a fan brush and apply the product on top of your cheekbones, you cupid's bow ( to give an illusion of a bigger upper lip ), your brow bone ( I prefer highlighter pencils for that area though ) and run a little bit of the product down the bridge of your nose.
You can also apply a highlighter to the centre of your forehead to give a very youthful illusion of a rounded forehead. This would work for normal and dry skin, do not apply it to this area if you have an oily T-zone.



My favourite products for contouring & highlighting include:



1. Sleek contour kit in Light
Perfect 2 in 1 combo including contour & highlight product in one compact. The shade of the highlighter is more pink toned and the contouring side is perfect for subtle contour ( Shade Light.) This particular shade is perfect for fair skin tones. I use this on daily basis, definitely a winner !

2. Hoola Bronzer by Benefit
Great bronzing powder that has the perfect shade for contouring as it is more ashy than red toned. It does not leave patches and smells lovely. The cute packaging is a bonus too !

3. MAC Mineralize Skin Finish in Medium Deep
This product I use when I want more subtle and natural look and when I'm only really adding a little bit of definition to my face. The shade is a lovely warm toned colour but has no red undertones. Lovely for bronzing up the face on the lazy contour/no contour days.

4. High beam by Benefit
I have love/hate relationship with this one !
I've gone through stages where I was absolutely obsessed with this and and then haven't reache for it for years, then re-purchased it and have been LOVING it recently !
It is a lovely pink toned, liquid highlighter. The only liquid highlighter that works on top of powder. 
I do find that I have to use a brush if I am applying it over powder though.
Otherwise you can just dap three dots on top of your cheekbones and blend it out with your finger and it adds gorgeous healthy glow to your skin. Brush applicator is great and the products lasts you years as you only need a teeny tiny bit of it to get amazing results !

5. Topshop Highlighter in Sunbeam
This powder highlight has been obsession of mine for about two years now. It is a beautiful golden shade highlight that has a super creamy texture and rich pigment.
It has tiny, super fine shimmer in it that is undetectable ( no chunky glitters ! ) 
Again, you only need a tiny amount of this to luminise your skin. 
Love this, especially during the summer !

6. No7 Skin Illuminator 

The same concept as the Highbeam, but not as pink toned. 
Makes a great alternative to Highbeam by benefit as it is approx. 1/2 the price ! 

My favourite brushes: 
Blush/contour brush perfect for contouring and blending out the contour
Fan brush perfect for highlighting
Small tapered brush Perfect shape for both contouring & highlighting


I have also recently posted a video on how I contour & highlight on my Youtube channel, if you want to see me demonstrate the whole process. 
Watch it here


Hope you enjoyed this post and hopefully learnt something new ! :)

Leave your thoughts in the comment bar below !

A. x

No comments:

Post a Comment